September 15

Truth, Sarcasm, and Diet Dew

Here we are. First blog post. Steeped in truth, sarcasm, and Diet Dew (my caffeine drink of choice).

Welcome.

As a high school teacher, we are expected to educate and lead these young folks who have been entrusted in our care. Many times, these young people are not used to hearing the truth. Or they hear it wrapped in bubblegum and air pockets.

My truth is wrapped in sarcasm and Diet Dew. Teenagers understand the language. it becomes common ground between myself and them. Being real with students allows them to be real with you.

Students may think they want sugar coated feedback, but in reality…they do not. They want the adults in their life to be as real as possible with them. Especially when it is a life lesson or truth they need to hear.

One prime example of sarcasm I use in the classroom is with my classroom rules and procedures. I have funny memes (which let’s face it, is just visual sarcasm) sprinkled throughout my slideshow and on posters and signs around my room.

So many articles have been written with glaring warnings about avoiding sarcasm in the classroom. Please. Get outta here with that mess.  If you can’t speak a foreign language, I would advise not attempting it in a classroom. Same applies to sarcasm. If you cannot speak it effectively and in the humorous vein that it is intended, then do not attempt it. You will fall flat and potentially get yourself in huge trouble.

One of my favorite teacher comedians has multiple examples of sarcasm in the classroom. Some of it we say out loud. Other times we keep it inside.

So there ya go. A little bit of truth and a whole lot of sarcasm. What sort of experiences have you had in speaking the teen language of sarcasm?

Stay tuned.

All images from Wikimedia Commons is license under GNU Free Documentation and Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.0.

Tags: , ,

Posted September 15, 2019 by ejenn42 in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “Truth, Sarcasm, and Diet Dew

1. Kimberly McFall

Jen!
    You are so on point — some folks can pull sarcasm off very well and, depending on the age, it works well. It really shows that we have a personality and I think it connects us with kids in a real way. It works for some, for some it just doesn’t (funny people who really are not funny — you know who you are; or more tragically, you don’t). I would caution you to make sure that all students can take it *enter my crying kids because I told him to get out when the bell rang* :p …

Reply